CAVC Funded Projects
Upskilling@Work is a funded operation supported by the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government. It's part of a pan-Wales operation designed to enhance skills and increase productivity in the workplace, providing opportunities for employers to gain accredited qualifications for their workforce. CAVC is a joint beneficiary of the East Wales Upskilling@Work operation and works as a collaborative partner with Colleges across the region to provide up to 70% funding across a wide a range of subjects including:
- Leadership & Management
- Health & Social Care
- Business Administration & Customer Service
- Facilities Support Services
- Hospitality & Catering
Cardiff and Vale College has effectively used Upskilling@Work to provide demand led solutions to employers across Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan. The funding has been used as part of a portfolio of 'products', complimenting Welsh Government's SPP (Skills Priorities Programme), Apprenticeships and commercial solutions and other funding routes.
Upskilling@Work has been hugely successful, particularly within the SME market with 47% of the companies benefiting from the funding being a small to medium sized business. To date, nearly 1000 people have benefited from training funded through the operation.
We also work with local authorities, trade unions, and other sector specific training boards to provide match-funding to the cost of training
Skills Priorities Programme (SPP)
The Skills Priorities Programme (SPP) is a key project for CAVC, supporting capacity and capability development and driving forward higher level skills provision which is focussed at creating a talent pipeline which is responsive to regional and employer needs and through delivering accredited and non-accredited training to employers.
The impact has been significant, with 40% of the colleges HE learners enrolled for the first year of their Foundation Degree are studying courses which have been developed, enhanced and supported through SPP. The College has also successfully launched Career Coach - an online tool accessible throughout the college providing up to date data on salaries, employment, job postings and associated education and training opportunities.
We have also successfully delivered funded training to over 350 individuals working for local employers including;
- Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd: In July 2018, the College commenced a detailed skills audit and training needs analysis to support Aston Martin's operations. The exercise has helped inform full-time curricula and apprenticeship requirements, which will be made available to learners.
- BBC Wales: CAVC have collaborated with BBC Wales to offer a new Digital Journalism Apprenticeship Programme. Curriculum and staff development has all been supported through SPP.
- British Airways Maintenance Cardiff: CAVC deliver a Higher Apprenticeship Programme for BAMC. The collaboration has led to a truly innovative product that provides the very best training opportunities and develop the next generation of talent for the aerospace industry.The relationship has extended through the use of SPP which has supported the delivery of bespoke training in skin repair, composites, Part66 and structural repair.
Considerable work has also been undertaken in developing our Leadership & Management provision to help address the skills shortage in the area. This has been successfully transitioned through to employer delivery using Upskilling@Work and SPP.
For more information on how you and your business can benefit from funding - please contact us.