About this course
The AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting covers a range of foundation accounting and finance skills in five mandatory units (240 guided learning hours). The purpose of this qualification is to ensure that students are well prepared to progress into a business, finance or professional accountancy career or further education.
What you will study
All of the units within the qualification are mandatory. Four units are assessed individually in end-of-unit assessments, but this qualification also includes a synoptic assessment, sat towards the end of the qualification, which draws on and assesses knowledge and understanding from across the qualification:
- Bookkeeping Transactions
- Bookkeeping Controls
- Elements of Costing
- Using Accounting Software
- Work Effectively in Finance
A student completing this qualification will develop accountancy skills in double-entry bookkeeping and basic costing, as well as an understanding of purchase, sales and general ledgers. Students will learn to use accounting software and to develop the professional skills and behaviours needed to contribute effectively in the workplace. Working in accountancy requires good communication skills, IT skills and understanding of the business environment, all of which are included in the qualification.
The course is vocational and practical in nature and you will learn essential skills relevant to an accounting environment. Lectures are provided for each unit. Tutorial support is also provided.
Subjects studied at this level will include all of the following:
- Preparing and recording financial documentation
- Maintaining and reconciling the cash book
- Maintaining petty cash records
- Processing business transactions and extracting a trial balance
- Maintaining the journal and control accounts
- Providing basic cost and revenue information
- Working effectively in accounting and finance, covering communication skills, understanding of role and function, managing self and team working
To study an AAT course you need to join the AAT as a student member, as well as enrol at the College. The AAT offers a range of benefits for student members including support, help finding a job and exclusive discounts.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
4 GCSE's grade A*- C or L2 ESOL or IELTS 6.5. You will need to attend an interview and undertake a skills assessment. Mature learners will be assessed on English Language and Maths.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including online assessment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
When I came back into education I knew this was the place to go. Moodle is great and there’s a lot of content on there, any questions we have the tutors are very quick in responding.